Friday, January 26, 2007

Do you live in Alcona County? Then you probably just contributed to the Nigerian Royalty Fraud.

Alcona County, MI: Thomas Katona, former treasurer of Alcona County is accused of embezzling over $1,200,000 from tax payers, part of which he used to pay a Nigerian 419 scammer. Katona is being charged with NINE felonies. Bank officials even told him that the investment was a scam, but he didn't listen. Prepare to see this email coming to your inbox:

To: FaithfulReader
From: tkatona@alconacountyjail.gov
Subject: Investment Opportunity

Hello. You do not know me but I am an official being held prisoner in Alcona County Jail, Michigan. I have over $1.2 MILLION dollars in a hidden account that I cannot access to free myself. I need a checking account that I can move this money into so that I can pay for lawyers and / or shovels. If you provide me with this account, I will let you keep 50%. I may need you to advance me a small amount to cover my bail bond, but this is a small investment that will earn you $600,000.

Please reply with your routing and checking account number.

Tom.

Source: The Register.

No comments: